Tuesday 3 May 2011

Invisible Trail Signs Cause Havoc

Day 3. 78 Ks Tanunda to Riverton. Chateau Tanunda is gorgeous and we don't want to leave. Left with confidence on the bike telling myself I can do this I can do this I can do this, but many moments of indecision caused a loss of momentum over and over as we took wrong turns repeatedly. The trail signs are the size of a $5.-- note, the colour of dust and placed in long grass. They are a joke. This ride is turning into a game of Where's Wally, not a cycling trip. Ride 5 minutes, check the ground for bike tracks, look for a sign - oh there it is right there hidden in the grass... Many times over several intelligent people were gathered looking around and unable to see the signpost that could make the difference between getting there or getting lost. The writing on the signs is the size of my credit card signature - I'm not kidding. Figured out the best solution was to keep an eye on a rider with a GPS system. The only sure way. Even so Barry and I did get lost, and were spotted in the distance by friends who raced on to others with a cellphone who could call us back. Anyway now I'm here in Riverton, the sun is on my back as I write, perched on a camp stool on the grass on the edge of town. And once again I am happy to be here. So all is well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.