Wednesday 18 May 2011

Thank You Bike South Australia

I've admired galahs gathered in a field at dusk - in their grey and pink gorgeousness. I've marvelled at a sun-dried snakeskin left in the grass exactly where the snake grew out of it. I have cycled in the early morning sunshine through an avenue lined with hundreds of glistening spiderwebs, each one a work of art and as unique as a fingerprint. I've borne witness to the heartbreak a physically harsh place like this can bring to farming families who have simply walked out of their homes and businesses. I've seen the kind of beauty in those big skies and open spaces no photo can really capture. I have listened to the most sincere, warm, heart-felt, proud - and yet notable for its word economy - welcome speech ever delivered by a cow cockie to a group of total strangers visiting his small town. (Yeah... welcome... how you goin' Orrright? Good.) I've warmed my hands over a roaring log fire while gazing up at the stars scattered like bright jewels on black velvet. I've met experts who have willingly and generously shared their knowledge of this region. I have experienced the rollercoaster of pain and releif, hot and cold, anxiety and peace of mind. And most of all I have had a lot of laughs.  Now I can look at my map of the Lofty Ranges, the Barossa Valley, the Clare Valley, the Flinders Range - and in my mind's eye run my finger along that ridge. From Adelaide into the bush straight towards the outback. Like running a finger along the rippled crust of a pie, I can now trace my journey on the map, feel it immediately take on three dimensions, and remember so many - too many to describe - special moments. What an adventure...!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.